In the previous modules, we covered reasons for having an all-employee meeting to create a collaborative vision for your practice, provided a high-level outline of the video you’ll play during that meeting, and discussed your role in facilitating the meeting. Now, let’s discuss the basic steps you’ll want to take to schedule and prepare for the meeting.
Pick a place and time for your meeting. You’ll want to be sure to prepare the room so you can show the staff video we have created for you, and so you can capture your employees’ thoughts. If the room doesn’t have a whiteboard and markers, you can purchase flip charts like these and markers at any office supply store. You’ll also want to be sure your employees have pen or pencil and paper. Finally, be sure you’ve set aside about three hours for the meeting.
Once you have a place and time, invite your employees by sending an email to everyone and also posting the invite in your break room or on the refrigerator. Everyone sees the refrigerator. Include the purpose of this meeting, focus on the opportunities this meeting creates, and provide a few questions they can think about ahead of time. You will find a sample email meeting invitation that you can use as a template in the resources tab on this page.
Finally, prepare yourself for the meeting by answering these questions.
- How will I define success for this meeting?
- What do I want the staff to learn during this meeting?
- What should be different when this meeting is over?
- If I were looking for small incremental progress, what would I like to see happening in our practice over the next several days or weeks after this meeting?
- What do I need to do as a leader to make sure this meeting is successful?
We’d also strongly recommend watching the video you’ll show during the meeting and reading the documents in the resources tab prior to the meeting itself.
Overall Course Time:
Is your practice exactly where you want it to be? Or, are there changes you’d like to make, or like your employees to make, that would help your practice realize its full potential? The first step to making any change in your practice in an effective, sustainable way is to develop a collaborative vision for your practice with your employees. This course shows you how to do just that. It includes a video that walks you through the collaborative vision process and includes a video you can watch with your staff to complete this process together.
If you can answer “no” to one or more of the questions below, you’ll likely find the information in this course helpful.
- Do you have a clear vision of what you want your practice to become? Can you explain that vision to your team?
- Do you know what changes you and your employees need to make to create the practice of your dreams?
- Do you know how to help your employees make any changes needed in a sustainable way?